Thursday, February 26, 2009

A mix for Travis, "Keyboards & Noise"

Late the other night I couldn't sleep and was too brain dead to read, so I turned to putting a mix together for Travis, one of our keyboard players. Travis has had an enormous affect on the sound and creative direction of our worship music over the past few years. He is talented, he plays boldly and his parts are interesting and appropriate. He writes his own music and has managed to put together some really nice recordings while in college. Bottom line: I'm dern proud of him.

Most of his songs are solidly crafted around a singer/songwriter form, and he does that well. But he has enormous control over the keyboard/synth that he uses with us. That is the difficulty of much of the progressive rock out there...that you not only need to know how to play your instrument technically, you also need a thorough grasp of all the different kinds of tones and sounds you can get out of your instrument. Since Trav has such an ear for creative noise, I'm encouraging him to break out and try some more experimental music. So, anyway, I put together this mix for him in bed that sleepless night and then liked it so much I listened to it again before finally falling asleep. I thought I'd share it here.


FOR TRAVIS KEYBOARDS & NOISE


“Thule” -- The Album Leaf -- In A Safe Place
“So Here We Are (Four Tet Remix)” – Bloc Party – Remixes [Disc 1]
“Lest I Forget” – The One AM Radio – This Too Will Pass
“Golden Star (Alias Remix)” – My Brightest Diamond – Tear It Down
“Interloper” –Earlimart – Avenues
“Calculation Theme” – Metric – Old World Underground, Where Are You Now
“Wedding Bell” – Beach House – Devotion
“Stop Coming To My House” – Mogwai – Government Commissions (BBC Sessions)
“Satellite Anthem Icarus” – Boards Of Canada – The Campfire Headphase
“What You Gave Away” – The One AM Radio – A Name Writ on Water
“Comfy in Nautica” – Panda Bear – Person Pitch
“Underneath the Weeping Willow” – Grandaddy – The Sophtware Slump
“The Movies” – Earlimart – Everyone Down Here
“Another Day” – The Album Leaf – In a Safe Place
“Ego Tripping (Ego in Acceleration Jason Bentley Remix)" – The Flaming Lips – Ego Tripping At the Gates of Hell [EP]

1 comment:

Courtney Kay said...

Fabulous chapel CD! Thanks for putting "That I May Please You" on it!